Petitgrain essential oil is obtained from the bitter orange tree by the using steam distillation method. Its scientific name is citrus aurantium. It is related to the labiate family. It is the origin in Spain. It has a floral scent.
Petitgrain oil is produced from the leaves and twigs of the bitter orange tree (Citrus aurantium amara), a member of the Rutaceae plant family.
These evergreen trees can grow up to 6 metres in the wild, but will only grow to half this height in cultivation.
It is mainly distilled by small farmers and delivered in small quantities to local traders (collectors), who then test, batch and resell the product to export houses. Harvesting and distillation is done between the months of October and March.
The tree produces a distinctive ‘double leaf’, which has a small bulge at the base of the main leaf. Its fruit is used to flavour liqueurs, such as Grand Mariner and Triple sec, and its flowers provide neroli and orange blossom oils, It is also used widely in perfumery for its strong, bitter-sweet, citrusy odour with floral and woody notes.
Paraguay is the dominant producer of petitgrain oil and in recent years annual production has ranged between 180 – 200 tonnes, accounting for over 80% of global output. Almost all the oil is exported.
Uses & Benefits:-
– It is mostly used in the pharmaceutical products.
– It gives relief from stress, depression, and anxiety.
– Petitgrain essential oil helps to promote restful sleep.
– It helps to boost nervous and nerves system.
– It is widely used in the perfumery industry for body sprays, lotions, colognes, and fragrances.
Petitgrain Essential Oil
Botanical Name : Citrus aurantium
Common Name : Citrus aurantium l. leaf oil, Petitgrain essential oil
CAS # : 8014-17-3, F.E.M.A. : 2855
Plant Parts Used : Leaves & Twigs
Extraction Method : Steam Distillation
Color & Odor : Clear to a yellow tinge tansperant liquid with resh, floral, citrusy, lighter in fragrance than neroli and slightly woody fragrance
Petitgrain is an essential oil that is extracted from the green twigs of the bitter orange plant (Citrus aurantium var. amara) via steam distillation.
Constituents & Specifications :
Petitgrain oil has various chemical compounds that include Linalyl Acetate, Linalol, Nerol, Alpha-Terpineol, Geranyl Acetate, Limonene and Myrcene.
Specific Gravity : 0.87800 to 0.88900 @ 25.00 °C
Refractive Index : 1.45000 to 1.46000 @ 20.00 °C
It is antiseptic, anti-spasmodic, anti-depressant, deodorant, sedative and nervine. It has antidepressant, antispasmodic, deodorant and sedative vitalizing, refreshing and cooling properties.
Benefits & Uses :
- Petitgrain essential oil will help to calm anger and reduce panic. It has a relaxing effect on the nervous system and helps to calm a racing heart and relax muscles.
- It has been used to treat impotence, mental fatigue, colic, indigestion, nausea, diarrhea, fainting, vertigo, halitosis and many respiratory conditions.
- It is helpful to acne, pimples, scars and other skin related problems. It has antiseptic and tonic properties and is helpful in toning skin.
- It is used in manufacture of superior quality skin care and cosmetic products.
- Used for high graded perfumery & other fragrances.