Poultry farming is the process of raising domesticated birds for the purpose of farming meat or eggs for food.
Poultry farm management refers to techniques that help in maximizing the efficiency of production. Management practices are very essential to optimize production.
• Disinfect shed, equipment.
• Purchase poultry, feed and litter from approved suppliers, with quality assurance programs that meet industry standards and requirements.
• Minimize access of wild birds, animals and rodents by:
◊ Maintaining fencing and shedding
◊ Controlling feed sources
◊ Pest control programs.
• Prevent access of outdoor range birds to unsanitized surface water.
• Vaccinate replacement pullets against pathogens and diseases that threaten the farm animals. The main reason why vaccines are being provided to the chicks from the first date as the immunity of chicks are low and they are banned to various terrestrial diseases.
• Minimize aerosols entering sheds from other sheds on the farm, other poultry farms, processing plants, manure stockpiles, and other birds or pigs.
• Analysis of stock mortality can be done by the percentage of the deaths in the specific period of days.
• Proper flow of intake for feed additive.
Birds get stressed too.
Stress is a physiological response of a bird to any situation that causes it strain or tension, such as overcrowding, too high or low temperature or humidity, and the inability to hide from real or imagined threats.
It results in the release of large amounts of adrenaline into the blood stream which raising the blood pressure, emptying sugar supplies into the blood stream and dilating the blood vessels in the muscles to give them immediate use of this energy.
There are many factors that can cause stress in a bird, and to limit stress, the caused should be known.
1. Health – An underlying disease process is a common cause of stress. An infections or organ disease will tax a bird reserve which might cause the bird to succumb to the disease.
2. Diet – Birds that do not eat a well-balanced diet often develop nutritional deficiencies that can directly and indirectly affect the immune system. The lack of vitamin A causes changes in the mucus membranes, which predispose a bird to respiratory infections.
3. Housing – An inappropriate cage size or style will add stress to a bird’s life. Overcrowding in a cage not just causes stress, but also increases the cage aggression and disease transmission.
4. Environment – Environmental stresses are sudden temperature changes, noises, harassment of wild animals.
5. Physiological stress – The process of egg laying, sexual maturity, egg binding and mating creates stress amongst birds.
In order to combat this situation, Vinayak Ingredients has launched products with the brand name “KiFAY” which reduces the catabolic stress and protects the amino acids from being degraded, leading to more protein retention and decrease in the excess protein reduction and “HERBOFLOXIN” which provides an immunomodulant effect that improves tolerance to pathogenic biotics and reduces stress.