In the recent years with the increase in awareness, hunt for natural alternatives has increased to replace the use of antibiotics as growth promoters. Prebiotics have been considered as potential alternatives to antibiotics. One such prebiotic is Fructooligosaccharide (FOS) which composed of linear chains of fructose units, linked by beta (2-1) bonds. The number of fructose units ranges from 2 to 60 and often terminates in a glucose unit.
PROLIFOS is not hydrolyzed by small intestinal glycosidases and reaches the cecum structurally unchanged. There, it is metabolized by the intestinal microﬂora to form short-chain carboxylic acids, L -lactate, CO, hydrogen, and other metabolites. Studies reveal that PROLIFOS enhanced the population of beneﬁcial bacteria, such as Biﬁdobacteria and Lactobacilli, and suppressed levels of pathogenic bacteria, such as Clostridium pefringens and E. coli, in the intestine of the broiler.
PROLIFOS is utilized by Lactobacillus, the high availability of PROLIFOS is associated with speciﬁc enzymatic activity and the oligosaccharide transport system of Lactobacillus species. Biﬁdobacteria and Lactobacillus produce extracellular enzymes to degrade PROLIFOS as well as compete with other species of intestinal microorganisms and suppress the growth of pathogenic bacteria. Studies report that the use of PROLIFOS increased the microvillus height in the jejunum and ileum and the ratio of the villus to crypt depth in the ceca.
Thus the overall growth-promoting eﬀect of PROLIFOS includes modulation of intestinal microorganisms, optimum levels of internal SCFA, healthy mucosal morphology, increase in mineral bio-availability and generation immune responses. Because of this comprehensive beneﬁts, the inclusion of prebiotics like PROLIFOS in the basal diet is a promising solution in providing a natural alternative for livestock and poultry.
Beneﬁts and Uses
POULTRY – LAYERS & BROILERS
• Maintain the healthy microbiota
• Improve production and performance
• Proper weight grain and beer FCR
• Enhance bioavailability of minerals
• Beer quality of egg (thicker egg shell)
CATTLE – CALVES TO ADULTS
• Enhances minimization of micro and macronutrients
• Improve digestion and secretion of digestive enzymes
• Control acute or chronic calve diarrhea
• Enhance fast growth and beer weight gain in young ones
• Galactagogue for lactating animals
• Increase the total production of short-chain fay acids like butyrate in particular
• Probiotic for piggery farms
• Control post-weaning diarrhea in piglets
• Enhance immunity and beer vaccination results in maturing piglets
• Beer backfat thickness in feeding sow
SWINE AQUA CULTURE – FISH & PRAWNS
• Improve fertility, hatchability, and livability
• Improve immune response in larvae
• Fast growth and proper molting
• Resistance to pathogens and toxin binder in nature
• Maintains pond ecosystem by improved degradation of organic waste