Bio-security practices and farm hygiene are the most important measures in order to prevent the risk of disease in poultry production. So here are the quick 5 main ways that farmer should keep in mind while working on a poultry farm.
- It is an obvious fact that the healthy, unstressed birds to have active metabolism and effective immunity against disease. Thus, feeding birds with nutritionally balanced diet maintain a comfortable living environment and minimising fear and anxiety in the birds will help the birds to survive.
- Another way for eliminating the disease is the vaccination aid in preventing pathogens especially viruses by immunising the bird in such a way that it enhances the immune response when the bird is subsequently exposed to it.
- Poultry sanitation is the crucial step which the flock owner might normally overlook. Disinfectants are normally applied only after the equipment and the whole farm have been thoroughly cleaned. It is suggested to clean manure/used litter from the sheds and removed from the site on the same day. For the litter to be disposed of on site, the land disposal areas and sensitive areas such as farm must be separated to avoid cross contamination. Disinfectants are generally applied by sprays, aerosols and fumigation. A pest control program must be introduced to get rid of rodents and other pests.
- Litter amendment system is one such bio-security system that can act as an ammonia binder which helps in improving the exposure of ammonia to the birds and reduces its release into the environment. Litter amendment systems also having disinfectant properties may be used as bio-security enhancers in the poultry house. This also decreases the energy intake by lowering the ventilation needed during winter season.
- The farmer/workers should wear apron and boots on the farm to avoid cross contamination. Hands must wash thoroughly with soap and clean water. The number of visitors must be reduced to the farm house or get into the close contact with birds.